Kylies Beach Reopens After Fatal Shark Attack


Kylies Beach Reopens After Fatal Shark Attack

Kylies Beach in NSW reopened after a fatal shark attack that killed a 25-year-old woman and injured her partner. Authorities are reviewing GoPro footage and deploying shark monitoring technology. Experts discuss potential factors behind increased shark activity.

Kylies beach in NSW 's Crowdy Bay national park was reopened on Friday after two people were attacked by a shark on Thursday, including one fatally.Kylies beach in NSW 's Crowdy Bay national park was reopened on Friday after two people were attacked by a shark on Thursday, including one fatally.

Shark attacked 25-year-old woman first then her partner who 'has done everything he could to get them both into shore,' authorities sayPolice are reviewing GoPro footage from the scene, which may shed more light on how the attack unfolded.The woman, 25, died at the scene, while the man, 26, was airlifted to John Hunter hospital where he was in a stable condition, the hospital confirmed on Friday. Surf Life Saving NSW said Kylies and nearby North Haven and Crowdy Bay beaches reopened at 12.30pm on Friday. The beaches were reopened "following increased jetski and drone surveillance since the incident ... which has not identified any concerning marine life in the vicinity", a spokesperson said. "Ahead of the weekend, and noting the forecast hot temperatures that will attract large crowds to the beaches, drones will continue to provide shark surveillance to the area, particularly at Camden Haven and Crowdy Head, with nippers set to go ahead as scheduled on Sunday."NSW Ambulance Insp Kirran Mowbray told the Nine Network on Friday that "the shark has attacked the female first, and her partner has done everything he could to get them both into shore and yell out for assistance to a bystander who was there"."She's essentially saved his life and bought him time before can get there," he said. Dr Brianna Le Busque, an environmental science and psychology researcher from the University of South Australia, said she was "shocked" to hear about the double attack and worried it would spark comparisons to the movie Jaws."Until then, it's a really horrific freak incident, but there's no indication that this shark will keep biting humans. "The parallels with Jaws are so interesting, this idea that instantly we must 'get that particular shark', and we know that's not an effective strategy. It's likely this shark felt particularly threatened, something happened, that's why it lashed out twice."The Swiss consul general confirmed in a statement that one Swiss national died and another was injured. "We are in contact with the local authorities and are supporting the relatives within the framework of consular protection," they said. The Surf Life Saving NSW chief executive, Steven Pearce, told 2GB radio that the "really, really terrible" incident happened in an area so remote that there were no lifeguard services.Newsletters may contain information about charities, online ads, and content funded by outside parties. If you do not have an account, we will create a guest account for you onto send you this newsletter. You can complete full registration at any time. For more information about how we use your data see ourThe MidCoast council mayor, Claire Pontin, "expressed her sadness at the loss of life and extended her condolences to the families involved". The Department of Primary Industries deployed five "smart" drumlines at Kylies beach after the attack. The drumlines send alerts when sharks or other marine animals take a baited hook. The shark is then tagged, relocated 1km offshore and tracked. The department said it "extends sincere condolences to the family and friends and first responders at this tragic time" and said no sharks have been caught on the drumlines at Crowdy Bay or at Port Macquarie to the north or Forster to the south since the incident, and that there had been no drone shark sightings. "Based on forensic analysis, DPIRD shark scientists have determined that a large bull shark over three metres in length was likely to have been involved," the department said on Friday. Are shark attacks on the rise in Australia? And what is being done to reduce the risk of fatal interactions?NSW uses other technology including shark nets, helicopters and "listening stations" to monitor sharks and prevent attacks, and beachgoers were advised to follow the NSW SharkSmart app. Meanwhile, other NSW beaches were closed on Friday after numerous bull shark sightings along with bait ball sightings, where schools of fish group together to form a defensive, tight mass to deter predators. "Please continue to be alert if swimming or surfing with the heightened shark activity, especially in light of the tragic fatal incident nearby earlier today at Kylies Beach,", experts said there had been an increase in shark bites because more people were using the water for more of the year, along with other factors including climate change, habitat depletion, weather anomalies and distribution of prey. But the number of deaths has not increased thanks to faster emergency responses, tourniquet kits at surf lifesaving clubs and better first aid training. According to NSW's SharkSmart advice, swimmers should take extra care at dawn and dusk, when bull and tiger sharks are more active, swim between the flags at patrolled beaches and be aware of water conditions and any safety signs or alarms.

Shark Attack Kylies Beach NSW Shark Safety Beach Reopening

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Woman Dies, Man Critically Injured in Shark Attack at NSW BeachA woman has died and a man is in critical condition after a shark attack at Kylies Beach in Crowdy Bay National Park, NSW. Emergency services responded to the scene, and the beach has been closed. Authorities are investigating the species of shark involved. Nearby beaches will also be closed for at least 24 hours.

Read more "

Woman Killed in Shark Attack at Crowdy Bay, NSWA woman in her 20s died after a shark attack at Crowdy Bay near Kylies Beach, NSW. A man also in his 20s was seriously injured and airlifted to hospital. Authorities believe a bull shark was involved. Bystanders assisted before emergency services arrived. The beach has been closed, and SMART drumlines have been deployed.

Read more "

Woman Dies in Shark Attack at Kylies Beach, NSW, Raising Questions About Safety and RiskA woman in her 20s died after being attacked by a shark at Kylies Beach, NSW, on Thursday morning. Her companion was seriously injured but stabilized by a bystander. The incident has prompted beach closures and investigations into shark presence and safety measures.

Read more "

'Fought the shark off': Heartbreaking details emerge after fatal attack on NSW beachHarrowing details have emerged that a heroic backpacker tried to fight off a shark and drag her to shore, in an attempt to save his partner who was fatally mauled on Thursday morning.

Read more "

Kylies Beach Remains Closed After Fatal Shark AttackKylies Beach in Crowdy Bay National Park, NSW, remains closed after a double shark attack, one fatal. Authorities are reviewing GoPro footage, and the Department of Primary Industries has deployed drumlines. Experts discuss the incident, shark behavior, and safety measures.

Read more "

Shark Attack at NSW Beach Claims One Life, Prompts Closures and ReviewKylies Beach in Crowdy Bay National Park, NSW, remains closed after a fatal shark attack on a Swiss tourist, with authorities investigating and deploying drumlines. Nearby beaches also closed due to shark sightings. Experts discuss shark bite trends and safety measures.

Read more "

Previous articleNext article

POPULAR CATEGORY

misc

16610

entertainment

18194

corporate

15277

research

9172

wellness

15001

athletics

19062